On 4/20/20 2:58 PM, Patrick McLean wrote:

>> You keep saying that, but the fact that dev-go/* is filled with trash
>> that has your name on it prevents anyone else from doing a better job.
>>
> Ad-hominen attacks are unwarranted, please refrain from them. I challenge you
> to find *anything* in dev-go/* with my name on it.

You quoted me one sentence prior saying that it's the Go ebuilds that
are trash and not anyone personally. But OK, I should have said "Sony
Interactive Entertainment" there instead of "you."

> Are you volunteering to do the work to package go packages? The people doing
> the work generally get to decide how that work gets done, and which approach
> they would like to take. The upstream situation makes it very
> labour-intensive to do the work in a the way you are proposing (many packages
> would end up with hundreds to thousands of packages in the tree). Separating
> everything out in to separate packages will just increase the maintenance
> load exponentially, with no gains as go upstreams version lock all their
> dependencies.

I'm volunteering to work on one or two small Go packages. Can I convert
the eclass to use dynamic linking? Can I start replacing your packages
with my own if I need them as dependencies? I suspect not, and that's
one of many reasons why "having things in ::gentoo does not affect
anyone who does not use them" is bullshit.