On 2020.08.08 19:51, William Hubbs wrote:
> All,
>
> I would like to propose that we switch the default udev provider on
> new
> systems from eudev to udev.
>
> This is not a lastrites, and it will not affect current systems since
> they have to migrate manually. Also, this change can be overridden at
> the profile level if some profile needs eudev (the last time I
> checked,
> this applies to non-glibc configurations).
>
> What do people think?
>
> Thanks,
>
> William

William,

With the declared aim from upstream of making udev inseparable from
systemd, its not something to be done lightly.
That's the entire reason that eudev was necessary.

I would want some convincing that it was not another step on the road
to Gentoo being assimilated by systemd.

We had this discussion several years ago when the default became
eudev. What's changed?

--
Regards,

Roy Bamford