On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 02:37:35PM +0000, Peter wrote in <20200721143735.5318.qm...@stuge.se>:
Remco Rijnders wrote:
- Can the removal of this package from gentoo be pushed backwards with
a month or so to allow me to work on packaging this new version as well
as do some rudimentary testing to ensure it works properly with Gentoo?

I'm sorry to see this wasn't possible or missed. A bit later than
expected, I have just submitted a PR to add this package back in, see
https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/17239 . I hope it can go in
shortly, but as this is my first PR to Gentoo, I also hope it is of
sufficient quality. Please be gentle ;-)

- As upstream for this program would be changed, should the name
getmail in gentoo be kept or would it better to use getmail6, and if
so, what would be the best way to go about this?

Since you want to avoid clobbering the existing name outside of Gentoo
I think you should strive for the same also within Gentoo. That said,
if the two are interchangeable then a virtual/getmail ebuild would
probably be reasonable.

I have left it at the original name seeing how the old version has now
been removed from Gentoo and this new version is (read: should be)
drop in compatible. I'll happily change this if the consensus is that
this would be better.

Thanks!

Remco