On 2020-09-04 08:54, Alexis Ballier wrote:

> py37 will (*) still be installed as it cannot be depcleaned because of
> 1. emerge won't fail since deps are satisfied.
>

> (*) or rather should, but I think the only case that matters is a valid
> system state where noone forced uninstall of a needed package or
> manually rm'ed some random files

There's no need to speculate; use pkgcore for a month and come back and
tell me how much comfort these hypotheticals were.

>> or..
>>
>>   3b. Some reverse dependency of foo-1.2.3 gets python-3.8 support.
>>   4b. A user tries to install that revdep, but the PM sees that
>>       the latest version of foo is already installed, and it (the
>>       installed version) doesn't support python-3.8. Mysterious
>>       error messages and manual intervention ensue.
>

> precisely the case I wrote above: unsatisfied dep -> pull ebuild.
> non-issue too.

It's easy to say "well this is not an issue because it can be solved by
<thing no package manager does and is not part of the PMS>..."

If it's easy, get it added to the PMS and I'll agree with you.