While I'm absolutely in favour of the overall intent here, I'm not so
sure of the design.

I'm worried about the proliferation of tiny packages just to convey the
keys; and how versioning should work if upstream rotates their keys.
I picked this message in the thread to respond to, because it was
clearest that this could break when the keys are rotated. The old
releases might not be verifiable with the new keys.

Additionally:
- not all upstream providers ship .asc files of their keys
- some upstreams use signed DIGESTS files rather than directly signing
  the distfiles (esp. where distfiles are larger)

Can we instead:
Inside the ebuild and/or metadata.xml: convey:
1. URL(s) to fetch keys, incl a keyserver support
2. Full key fingerprint

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer