On Wed, 2020-12-30 at 11:41 +0100, m1027 wrote:
> mgorny:

> > > remove is sufficient b/c emerge then immediately advices a
> > > @preserved-rebuild - at least that's the way it works here at the
> > > tinderbox (in the opposite direction FWIW)
> > >

> > I'm not sure if you meant it but it reads as if you were talking about
> > removing the package.  This is incorrect.
> >
> > You need to disable the USE flag and then --changed-use (or --newuse)
> > rebuild everything with the flag.  If the depgraph is clean, emerge
> > should happily trigger the rebuild along with automatic replacement of
> > dev-libs/libressl with dev-libs/openssl.
> >
> > However, it's a good idea to run the same command with --fetchonly
> > first, to make sure that all distfiles are in place, in case wget got
> > broken in the process.
>
> It might not be the place to discuss emerge dependency details here,
> take it as some initial feedback on the transition from libressl to
> openssl.
>
> The general way to go seems indeed:
>
> - remove libressl from USE flags, also adjusting curl_ssl
> - initial emerge ... --fetchonly: to my surprise not always required
> - emerge -autDUN @world
> - finally the usual @preserved-rebuild

I'm surprised this is necessary.  -N should have rebuilt everything,
unless:

1) you had some packages installed that are no longer in @world
depgraph, or

2) packages have automagic dependencies.

If you see things like this, it's worth investigating and reporting
bugs if it's 2.

> - On some systems another @world update revealed again a lot
> - This also worked over ssh
>
> The systems I tried so far
>
> - 2x Gnome desktop systems, close to the USE defaults, went smoothly
> - 1x Raspberry Pi over ssh: still working, ;-) okay so far
> - 1x Developer system with some smaller issues
>
> The issues I had:
>
> - hostapd: when with +internal-tls, some build issue with
>   libtommath; when with -internal-tls it required openssl -bindist;
>   I did not investigate, just uninstalled hostapd yet
>
> - openssl+bind+openssh: conflict triggered to do +/-bindist for
>   openssl; solution was -bindist everywhere (see other posts on
>   bindist already)

As mentioned somewhere else in this thread, USE=bindist is going to be
revisited in the next few days, since some significant patents expire
by 2021.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny