Hello, everyone.

I would like to issue one final reminder that Python 2.7 and 3.6
support in Gentoo is nearing its end.  Per the timeline announced
earlier:

1. On 2021-01-01 the remaining blocker packages will be last rited,
with non-extensible 30 day removal time.  This means specifically:

  py2 package:
    games-engines/renpy

  its dependency:
    dev-python/numpy-python2

  its revdeps:
    games-misc/katawa-shoujo
    games-rpg/asphyxia
    games-rpg/sakura-spirit
    games-rpg/the-royal-trap

2. Starting 2021-01-01, I will aggressively push towards stabilizing
and cleaning up packages whose old versions block py2.7 or py3.6
removal.

3. As soon as all blockers are gone, I will disable py2.7 and py3.6
in the eclasses (py2.7 will still be permitted for python-any-r1).

4. After disabling py3.6, I will last rite the remaining backports with
14 day removal time:

  dev-python/aiocontextvars
  dev-python/contextvars
  dev-python/dataclasses

Note that as indicated earlier, we are not going to remove Python 2.7
support entirely -- we will only prohibit installing any packages using
Python 2.7 at runtime.  The python-any-r1 eclass will continue
supporting it for the time being (I will submit a patch for review
later on).

Python 3.6 support will be removed entirely from the eclasses
but the interpreter will stay for as long as it continues being
maintainable.  Upstream is planning to issues security fixes until
2021-12, and after that we will move it to ::python.

Both Python 2.7 and Python 3.6 will still be usable inside virtualenv
(though note that new versions of virtualenv may remove support
for py2.7).

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny