> On 8 Feb 2021, at 00:52, Aisha Tammy <gentoo....@aisha.cc> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> [snip]
> This transition is expected to take a long time so there shouldn't be a worry
> about sudden
> changes in packages. We are going to keep some of the more important old
> GTK:2 ebuilds,
> such as the CJK ebuilds, around as long as we have GTK:2 in the tree. Newer
> packages are
> encouraged to be GTK:3 only.
> The starting point of the transition are packages which have GTK:3 support
> and optional GTK:2
> support. Most of the bugs of this kind have already been filed[1] and is the
> safest
> place to start killing off GTK:2.

This is completely fair, but I’d just like to add that dropping GTK 2 should
ideally be done in revbumps
and given time before stabilisation & cleanup to ease the pain for users.

Yes, it’s been a long time coming, and this is only the first step, but some
people have a sentimental
attachment to it, so we should give them time to get used to the new interfaces
rather than yanking
it entirely from all versions in the tree where it’s possible.

TL;DR: Great, let’s just not rush to cleanup old so people can revert if issues
arise with new designs
or whatever in the GUI.