On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 17:43:34 -0400
Joshua Kinard <ku...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I kinda wish the Linux kernel had an ability to partially boot, init the
> networking subsystem, then fetch an initramfs image over TFTP like it can do
> with NFS Root.  That would solve the problem on my MIPS system(s) (and make
> install netboots better).  I've dug around, but this does not seem to be a
> capability currently in the kernel, unless I have over looked something.
>
> Otherwise in the future, I may just have to setup an initramfs into an NFS
> Root and teach the SGI's to somehow deal with it.  Which all still seems
> unnecessarily complicated because some other distro thinks it knows what's
> best for everyone else (but I digress...).

NBD may be a slightly simpler alternative and a bit more like an
initramfs. nbdkit can do all sorts of weird things. I thought it might
have a plugin for cpio archives, allowing you to use a regular
initramfs generated by Dracut or similar directly. It doesn't appear to
but plugins are quite easy to write. Alternatively you could just
extract the initramfs and use nbdkit-linuxdisk-plugin.

--
James Le Cuirot (chewi)
Gentoo Linux Developer