Dear everyone,

During the open-floor part of this month's Council meeting I asked whether there is any official policy regarding what is or is not guaranteed for hardware architectures we do not consider stable in Gentoo. For reference, according to the current version of profiles/arches.desc (commit 7bdebec50c44c0222bf76334c34926b593e94dd4, dated 2021-04-05) this means: alpha, ia64, m68k, mips, riscv, s390,
and all Prefix arches.

As it turns out, we do not in fact have any such policy. On the other hand, during my time as a Gentoo developer I have heard from other developers a fairly wide range of opinions on the subject - from insisting on clean QA results, passing tests etc. regardless of whether an arch is stable or not to assuming we guarantee nothing for unstable arches.

Anyway, it has been decided that it makes sense to discuss this on the mailing list before making it a Council matter. Therefore - what do you all think here?

--
Marecki