On Thu, 2021-09-02 at 14:58 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:

> Apparently, need_apache* is the problem.  Most of the ebuilds in www-
> apache/* are calling it:

The apache-module eclass tells you to do that because it needs some of
those APACHE_* paths. It should really be figuring them out itself
rather than telling the user to call a function that does it in global
scope. It's an easy fix:

  APXS=apxs
  APACHE_MODULESDIR=$(apxs -q libexecdir)
  APACHE_MODULES_CONFDIR=$(apxs -q sysconfdir)/modules.d
  APACHE_VHOSTS_CONFDIR=$(apxs -q sysconfdir)/vhosts.d

On the one hand, we probably don't want ebuild maintainers trying to
solve that themselves when the eclass could do it. But for whatever
such a promise is worth, it also feels wrong to promise that apache-
module will provide all of depend.apache -- what if we someday apply
the fix above to apache-module and want to drop the depend.apache
inherit?

If we do ever update apache-module, updating ebuilds and retiring
depend.apache would be a lot easier if you could find the candidates
with `git grep depend.apache`, rather than having to look through all
consumers of apache-module for implicit uses of depend.apache.