On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 1:44 PM Robin H. Johnson <robb...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I think we need to strip out a lot of the crap about trying to detect
> things in the stuff being built, and reduce the check to the simplest
> possible form:
> $ time zgrep -w CONFIG_PACKET /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_PACKET=y

Sure, just please don't strip out the part that actually does what you
just did - check the running kernel.  I don't think we should assume
that the user has the configured+prepared sources for a kernel just
lying around all the time.  I don't build in /usr/src (which is
apparently discouraged by upstream anyway), so /proc/config.gz is
really the only reliable indication of how things are setup.  Well,
that or a config file in /boot which I'm sure others don't use (but
make install puts it there).

--
Rich