All,

I want to discuss why we ban -1 as the ACCT_USER_ID and ACCT_GROUP_ID setting
for all acct-user and acct-group packages in ::gentoo.

Here are my thoughts about it.

- As Gordon pointed out, it isn't necessary for us to care about UIDS/GIDS
  most of the time.

- I realize that our settings are suggestions, but the values we can
  suggest are not infinite. We have run out once, and it is only a matter of
  time until we do again.

- If an end user needs to care about the UID/GID, they can easily override
  the settings in make.conf.

In short, I don't think we should be forcing maintainers to pick a
specific UID/GID for every package that needs a user/group. Most of the
time they can set ACCT_USER_ID and ACCT_GROUP_ID to -1.

Thoughts? In particular, I want to hear from folks who disagree with me
about using -1 in the main tree for most packages.

Thanks,

William