> On 28 Nov 2021, at 19:23, Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>
> How about if we also add a GO_DEPEND variable, so that eclasshi consumers can
> do something like BDEPEND="go? ( ${GO_DEPEND} )" ?
> --

My preference is to go with what we've been doing more recently (do _OPTIONAL)
so that
consumers handle things properly and we don't have to try account for various
cases
(this was the problem with eclass variables which add a USE flag or depend only
if a USE flag is set).

But that said, I can't immediately think of any such annoying edge
cases with this idea. It'd be additional to GO_OPTIONAL and it'd
ensure a sane baseline Go version is chosen. So, why not?