On 15/04/2022 17.43, Yuan Liao (Leo) wrote:
noting is, unlike compilation of a C/C++ program, where each compiler
[…] a single invocation of
javac usually involves putting _all_ Java source files' names into the
command-line arguments.

We do use javac's @argfiles, e.g., @sources.lst, some places (probably not in all). Otherwise, where @argfiles are not used, I think it is more likely that you run into an exec() argument length issue with a large source file count before the emerge output becomes an issue.

That said, I am sympathetic to the concerns you raised. Ideally the build.log should include the full command while only a shortened version is printed to the console. However, I am not aware that this is possible with portage. And if it is not (yet) possible, then I lean towards capturing the whole command line.

- Flow