On 17/04/2022 18.33, WANG Xuerui wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> A lot have happened since my last progress update regarding the
> Gentoo/LoongArch port in January; among other things, I'm a Gentoo developer
> now, so I got to edit the project page and announce it myself. :-)
>
> The project page is at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:LoongArch, where
> I have collected some useful information for LoongArch development.
>

> ## Trying out
>
> LoongArch hardware is probably hard to get outside of China, but usable QEMU
> linux-user emulation is available via patched qemu package in the
> loongson-overlay [1], so you can set up binfmt_misc and try out the stages
> just like with any other chroot. Freshly built stages can be downloaded from
> several mirrors (all hosted in China though), you can find the links on the
> project page.
>

> ## State of various fundamental packages
>
> Both binutils and gcc have the LoongArch support upstreamed, although
> binutils still needs some patching for now, for spec conformance. So we're
> basically only waiting for linux and glibc. The Linux port is likely 5.19
> material [2], and glibc should follow that; this means we're likely starting
> with Linux 5.19, binutils 2.38 (patched), gcc 12.1.0 and glibc 2.36.
>

> ## Roadmap update
>
> Now that I have verified everything with stage builds and installation on
> real Loongson 3A5000 hardware, I plan to first upstream the profiles and
> toolchain bits to ::gentoo. After that, I'll handle the keywording and
> porting/testing of packages for loong, just like any other arch; upstreaming
> the various patches one by one, while doing all these.
>
> As with all other arches, the project would need an email alias; because it's
> ARCH=loong, the alias should look like loong@g.o. An IRC channel would be nice
> but I doubt how many people would converse there -- we could probably do
> without one for now.
>

> I'll happily help if you are interested in this niche architecture; feel free
> to reach out via mail or IRC.

Well, I will gladly help with keywording and testing of packages if I
could have access to some devbox (as with all arch teams I'm on). I know
this is a *very* future talk, but just know that if we have a devbox
Gentoo developers can ssh into, quite fastly we join to help :)

For now let me just send you good luck - maintaining arches is quite fun
and fulfilling :)

--
Arthur Zamarin
arthur...@gentoo.org