Hi,

When the size of the repo is considered too big maybe we can revisit the option
of having the portage tree distributed as a compressed sqashfs image.

    $ du -hs /var/db/repos/gentoo
    536M    .
    $ gensquashfs -k -q -b 1M -D /var/db/repos/gentoo -c zstd -X level=22
/tmp/gentoo-current.zstd.sqfs
    $ du -h /tmp/gentoo-current.zstd.sqfs
    47M     /tmp/gentoo-current.zstd.sqfs

Though that would probably open another can of worms around incremental updates
to the portage tree, or more precisely the lack of it (i.e. increased bandwidth
requirements).

Regardless, as a proxied maintainer I agree with Flow's point of view here (I
think I have expressed these in detail too in the past here) and would prefer
undeprecating EGO_SUM.

Zoltan