On Sun, 2022-12-25 at 18:02 +0000, m1027 wrote:
> mgorny:
>
> > # Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> (2022-12-25)
> > # make.conf writing is broken and package.use support incomplete.
> > # Last release in 2013.  Attempted unsuccessfully fixing it in 2017.
> > # Use an editor instead.
> > # Removal on 2023-01-24.  Bug #888423.
> > app-portage/flaggie
>
> So I will deeply miss flaggie! Despite some issues it is a very
> helpful thing once you know it, e.g. for automated USE flag changes
> over ssh in a server farm.

Hmm, that's a use case I didn't think of (and I didn't know anyone is
actually using flaggie non-interactively).  I guess most of the time you
could get away with something like:

  echo app-foo/bar baz >> /etc/portage/package.use/local.conf

etc.

> I am rather in C than in python so I cannot really help advancing
> flaggie. But I wonder whether there is a full specification for USE
> in make.conf as well as for package.use/* so there was a chance to
> think about a reimplementation somehow.

To be honest, I'm thinking of starting from scratch like all cool
programmers do these days.  Perhaps I should aim for a very simple tool
that doesn't try to represent all Portage configuration in AST
and instead just does plain manipulations.  So perhaps they'll
be a flaggie2 after all.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny