>> That's a non-sequitur. No reason to not have it on doesn't imply that
>> there is a reason to have it on.
>>
>> Also, shouldn't we avoid enabling local flags in profiles?

> I keep forgetting that this is still not global either, guess it'll
> ideally need another step first.

I see vulkan 31 times in use.local.desc, with slightly different
descriptions. Most notable difference:

app-office/libreoffice:vulkan - Enable Vulkan usage via the skia library (clang
recommended)

Should it be renamed to "skia" for libreoffice, because that's also the
name of the upstream flag? libreoffice will also output a warning with
USE="vulkan -clang".

> For often-used USE, that doesn't mean that every users should have to
> enable it manually when they try to emerge the package. It would
> notably be annoying if, e.g. opengl wasn't default either (if opengl
> can be a default, I don't see why vulkan can't be in 2023).

> I see this as a sane desktop default much like having png, jpeg, etc..
> enabled.

Right, this is a valid reason for enabling it.

> Steam, games, and similar applications also come from several sources
> not necessarily managed by portage all while expecting typical GPU
> features (and png/jpeg support!) to work without having to dig in
> USE flags on a desktop profile more than necessary. It's a better
> out-of-the-box user experience.

IMHO this isn't. It is at least debatable if unpackaged proprietary
software should have any influence on our default settings.

Ulrich