Ionen Wolkens <io...@gentoo.org> writes:

> Primarily intended for use by linux-mod-r1.eclass, which needs
> a global IUSE to control stripping of kernel modules *before*
> signatures and compression (alternative would be to simply never
> strip, but that seem sub-optimal).
>
> Originally meant to be USE=modules-strip or similar, but this can
> have a more general use case when portage does not know how to
> strip special files properly while the ebuild does.
>
> Notable is mingw ebuilds (wine-*, dxvk, vkd3d-proton, mingw64-*).
> If portage uses x86_64-pc-linux-strip on, e.g. mingw64-toolchain's
> runtime libraries, then at least the 32bit toolchain ends up broken
> and cannot compile anything anymore. But then dostrip -x results in
> unstripped files while we can use x86_64-w64-mingw32-strip in the
> ebuild potentially saving 60MB+. Currently this is done through
> USE=debug, but does not feel fully fitting given this isn't about
> adding debugging paths (or even symbols, or anything) and is merely
> "do not strip".
>
> No USE in ::gentoo currently contain the word "strip" and defining
> it should not conflict.

This sounds fine (and a good idea), but we may want some indication
in the USE flag description (eh), a QA policy to indicate
it's only for special situations, or some note in the devmanual.

Can see people getting this wrong and trying to use it in ebuilds
which would work otherwise. But maybe the "special" in the USE
description is enough?