Joshua Kinard <ku...@gentoo.org> writes:

> Noticing that the ebuild for gcc-12.3.0 got dropped with little
> explanation.  It is the upstream stable release.  I am eyeballing
> #906310 as what may have triggered the drop, but I find it a bit of a
> stretch that an upstream stable release got dropped over a single,
> optional package that has a history of quirky behavior (FWIW, I never
> had luck with ccache, especially on MIPS).

Please see https://bugs.gentoo.org/908258. There were miscompilations
even fixed after 12.3.0 was tagged.

(Also, ccache really isn't a "package with quirky behaviour" in terms of
whether or not it causes gcc to ICE. It has nothing to do with what
ccache itself does at runtime.)

> Under qemu, it takes about 4 hours to build the single-ABI variant of
> gcc and 7 hours for the multilib variant.  So I avoid rebuilding the
> compiler as much as possible, as with six chroots, that's virtually an
> entire day across all six just for gcc, minus distractions (seriously,
> the build times on gcc are getting waaaaaaay out of hand, regardless
> of arch).

It should get a bit better as of recent 13 as we backported a change
to help parallel builds at least (and reduce resource consumption).

(Also, added toolchain@ to CC...)