------- Original Message -------
On Tuesday, September 12th, 2023 at 3:36 PM, Eddie Chapman <ed...@ehuk.net>
wrote:

> Sam James wrote:

> > > A year is a long time, there might well now be people willing to take
> > > over maintaining it that were not willing to 1 year ago, if that is what
> > > is required.
> >
> > They have a month to step up anyway, although that will involve
> > upstream activity too.
>

> I see there was already a change in the tree yesterday that assumes
> sys-fs/eudev is going (commit d46677fd864b30315423c8364ca44db2de98e2a1,
> sys-fs/mdadm/mdadm-4.2-r2, amd64 stable keyworded). Has this actually been
> decided behind the scenes already? This starts to smell a little ugly
> unless I've completely misunderstood something. I hope I'm wrong.
>
> One thing I don't understand: the Gentoo project page for eudev lists 4
> members including the lead, and FWICT they are mostly still active in
> other areas of Gentoo (recent commits to the tree in other packages). The
> project lead is also an original author of eudev. I find it hard to
> believe that all 4 of these people have completely lost interest in eudev
> in Gentoo. Have any of these 4 maintainers publicly said (anywhere) that
> they are not interested in being maintainers anymore (which is fine if
> that is the case)? We're not talking here about a lone maintainer of some
> peripheral package that's disappeared leaving an orphaned package.
>
> I'm an outsider to Gentoo development (just a heavy user for over a decade
> both personally and professionally) so I might have missed something. I
> just find it puzzling.

I don't understand why there is need to go off of *hints and clues* whether its
active development or whether the project maintainers want to maintain it or
not.
The project lead has explained the original reason for eudev being part of base
and why that reason has passed. Issue decided 2 years ago.

https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2021-08-24-eudev-retirement.html

If there were maintainers to suport it for 2 extra years, that's very nice of
them. Speculating, without them, after their decision to last-rite and asking
to support eudev indefinitely, without giving any insightful reason as to why,
seems ... not a great way to motivate someone to do something extra for me.

Martin