On Thu, 14 Sept 2023 at 18:40, Eddie Chapman <ed...@ehuk.net> wrote:

> Rich Freeman wrote:
>
> Not aiming this at you personally but this argument has been made more
> than once in this thread and I personally don't think it carries any
> weight, because it can be levelled at anyone who raises an issue about
> anything. If you don't like it, then just go and roll your own. Of course
> I know I (and anyone else) can do that. So then what's the point of
> discussing anything then? What's the point of having a big tree with
> hundreds of packages? Why not have a very minimal tree instead and let
> everyone go and run multiple independent repos so we can all do what we
> want? Then we wouldn't have any discussion about what to include and what
> not. In fact maybe that's not a bad idea.

The point of having ::gentoo is a collection of packages to make it
easy for users at large to install useful software so that they may
have and use a functional system, including people not skilled enough
to want or care for their own overrides. Such facilities have
expectations such as "things in this repo either work together or are
drop in replacements for X feature/Y software".

There's nothing stopping you or anyone, right now, doing what you
sarcastically suggest above for things that aren't practical to have
in ::gentoo.

--
Ninpo