> Thanks. Instead of using the lang entry I can imagine these other
> approaches:

> 1. doi/arxiv/... links could also easily be plugged in custom upstream
> remote ids, but that also feels a bit wrong since all other [upstream
> remote
> ids](https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Upstream_remote-id_types)
> are repos/source code providers.

GLEP 68 rather abstractly says that the remote-id elements should point
to "package identification trackers", and its predecessor GLEP 46
explains that this means the upstream source. So this doesn't look like
a good fit.

> 2. Adding something specific to GLEP 68, like `<upstream><reference
> type="doi"> https...`. However that seems like a bit too much work for
> adding something that only a small subset of users (science) cares
> about. Also integration of parsing with existing tools is an extra
> overhead.

This would require maintenance of another list of types. Looks like the
semantic is implicit in the URL, so is a type really needed?

A simpler change would be to lift the uniqueness restriction for the
doc element, i.e. allow it multiple times for the same language.

> 3. Put them also into `HOMEPAGE` of the ebuilds. Again bit of a wrong
> place, but with the (minor) advantage of having possibly different/new
> references per version.

This wouldn't require any changes.

> Is any of these three superior/preferable?

It depends on how many packages in the Gentoo repository are expected to
use the feature.

If the answer is less than ten, then IMHO using HOMEPAGE is a reasonable
choice. If it would be at least an order of magnitude more, then we could
think about updating GLEP 68 (e.g. lift uniqueness of doc).

Ulrich