Hello,

Happy GNOME 45.0 release day!

I've been maintaining the GNOME packages in Gentoo, essentially alone,
since GNOME 3.38 (Sept 2020).

After adding seven major versions of GNOME to Gentoo, I've decided to
stop. So, the GNOME project needs a new maintainer. Preferably
multiple.

A quick accounting shows that I've done 1350 bumps of GNOME packages
in the last 3 years (and reviewed and merged another 530 from
Guillermo who has been contributing for only 1 year now). In upstream
GNOME projects I've landed about 100 merge requests.

IMO, the state of the project is really good. We've been adding
alpha/beta/rc versions in order to catch and report problems to
upstream and to give us time to sort out important issues beforehand.
Most of GNOME 45 is already in ::gentoo under package.mask.

When I forced myself into the GNOME team, there were a lot of bits of
knowledge that were only accessible by being yelled at by the lead.
I've tried to remedy that and to document important things to know. To
that end, I've maintained a few pages on the Wiki:

Somewhat of a guide for bumping GNOME packages:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:GNOME/GNOME_Bumping_Guide

Notes about why packages listed on packages.gentoo.org's Outdated page
haven't been handled:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:GNOME/GNOME_bumping_notes

A table of unit testing results (from src_test) for GNOME packages:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:GNOME/GNOME_Unit_Test_Status

libsoup:3.0 transition status (mostly behiind us at this point)
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:GNOME/libsoup:3_transition

I'll still be around, and I'm happy to help ramp up a developer that
wants to take over. Guillermo has been doing great and has been an
incredible help. I hope he'll become a Gentoo developer, but the
project really needs more than a single person maintaining things.

Matt