There are at least a few generally language-specific build
tools/systems that can, if you're into masochism, be used to build
other languages (Gradle, Maven, etc.), and tools like Ant, which while
primarily used in Java projects is really just a Makefile with
different syntax and core functions in XML. Does making a new category
for explicitly general-purpose tools like Make and friends ambiguate
where the language-specific tools belong? Should other
non-Make-related packages be moved from their current dev-[language]
locations?

Does dev-util/gyp really belong there, or since it is node-specific,
should there be a dev-js category?