On 10/01/2024 12.01, Sam James wrote:

Florian Schmaus <f...@gentoo.org> writes:

[[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
On 07/01/2024 13.48, Michał Górny wrote:
Hi,
I'd like to propose adding a new dev-debug category.  The
description
could be:
    Code debuggers and debugging-related tools.

Seems sensible. I'd probably drop the "Code" from the description,
since packages like d-spy do not primarily debug code.

I assume profilers are explicitly not part of this category?

leio had the same question and we came up with a list of about 5-6
packages at least which would fit in a dev-profile category...

Right and a sensible next step would probably be an extra category for those.

The problem is that that the lines between profilers, tracers, and performance counter tools sometimes gets blurry. But I think it could be fine to shove those all into one category, but maybe dev-perf then (e.g., "Tools for performance analysis")?

- Flow