Hi all,

so here's a small update on the state of the 23.0 profiles:

* For all arches, the 23.0 profiles are now marked at the same stability status
  (mostly for the CI and pkgcheck) as before the 17.x profiles. Most 17.x
profiles
  have been downgraded to "exp".

* All stage downloads (with the exception of hppa, where our builder is a tad
slow)
  are now based on 23.0.

* For all ISO / other boot media, the specs have been changed as of today, so
that
  the next succeeding build will also be based on 23.0.
  The new builds need testing, so if you happen to have suitable hardware
around...

* With that we can nail down the timetable for the next steps:
  2024-06-06 (in 2 months): deprecation of the 17.x profiles; binpkg builders
for
     the 17.x profiles are stopped
  2025-06-06 (1 year later): removal of the 17.x profiles from profiles.desc
  ????-??-?? (when infra has moved :o): removal of the 17.x profile trees in
gentoo.git

Comments and feedback welcome. I would really prefer to *not* extend the time
until
deprecation though, since maintenance (and CPU time) goes down as soon as we
don't
build twice the amount of packages...

In general, our installation ISO need in my opinion some review regarding the
package
set and the detailed build instructions. As long as they work that is not really
urgent though.

Cheers,
Andreas

--