Joonas Niilola wrote:
Hey,

I'll admit I didn't read everything, but I just want to point out you
may not have to edit ebuilds at all. If xz-utils is package.provided portage should ignore the dependency without you removing the dep from an
ebuild. Then you can utilize /etc/portage/patches to apply any patches and
finally try using EXTRA_ECONF and MYMESONARGS to override configure
options via package.env.

-- juippis

Hi Joonas,

The local ebuilds in the guide were not created because of the xz-utils dep. If you search through ebuilds in the tree there are hundreds of packages that specify xz-utils as a hard dep, so yes, as you say, package.provided takes care of all of then.

No, the ebuilds were needed for various customisations to build arguments. However, the dev-libs/libxmlb ebuild is no longer needed as, since I wrote the guide, libxmlb 0.3.17, which makes liblzma.so.5 dep optional, is now in Gentoo, thanks whoever added that :-)

You might be able to dispense with the need for the separate net-mail/dovecot ebuild by using EXTRA_ECONF, as you say. However, AFAICS local dev-lang/python ebuilds are unavoidable, unfortunately, you'll see why if you look at the diffs for them in my guide. It would be wonderful if dev-lang/python made its liblzma dep optional. It would be a simple change to the ebuild. However, I suspect the developers might feel that *not* depending on liblzma.so.5 is unsupported because it results in Gemato failing due to lack of support in core python for liblzma. The only way around that issue I can see is for Gemato to instead use /usr/bin/xz like the rest of Portage does. If that were to happen then dev-lang/python could be modified to respect -lzma and I can't see that anything significant in Gentoo would miss it. Then if there are any dev-python packages that need liblzma in core python either presently or in future (I've not encountered any yet) then of course they would just need a hard dependency on dev-lang/python with lzma USE flag set.

I now have many Gentoo systems running without xz-utils installed (using my wrapper script from the guide) and I've not had a single issue anywhere, everything working perfectly, so I'm delighted that it has been possible :-)

Eddie