[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: >Hi, >I'm having my first experience with gnap on a soekris unit. > >Everything almost works. The catch is dnsmasq. >It always says "cannot make/bind socket permission denied" >on whatever upstream servers I use. > >I used netstat to ensure that no other dns servers had bound to port 53. >192.168.1.2 is the adsl router. > >my conf file is > >query-port=53 >interface=eth1 >domain-needed > >server=/danske.co.nz/192.168.40.254 >server=192.168.1.2 > >dhcp-authoritative >dhcp-range=192.168.41.16,192.168.41.64,infinite > > >Can anyone shed light on this for me please? > >
Some general info that might be helpful. You need to have root permission to bind to port 53. You don't need to (and you shouldn't) use port 53 as source port when you do a query to an upstream server. The daemon should drop root privileges to a non-root UID after it has opened the listening socket (that is and should be bind to port 53). (I havent checked if dnsmasq does this but since you get permission denied, I guess it does) What happens if you remove the "query-port=53" line? What happens if you set query-port to something above 1024? You can try dnrd if you want an alternative to dnsmasq. But it does not have an integrated dhcp service so you probably want to stay with dnsmasq. -- Natanael Copa -- [email protected] mailing list
