2009/12/15 Ahmed Ammar <[email protected]>
>
> Well how exactly do you expect chroot to succeed when the host is x86
> and the ${ROOT} is arm?
>
To some questions I read :
I use a amd64 host to build amd64 targets environments.
I use cross-emerge and not crossdev or chroot because my target don't have
and WILL NOT have portage, gcc, make or any other build-related tool. My
targets will run on livecd, so they won't even have (tmp-excluded) writing
needs.
My build needs REQUIRES by process that I could not even put gcc/portage/etc
on my target, chroot and build with them, then remove them.
For now, I think of chrooting to useradd manually, or copying some
pre-generated /etc/{passwd,shadow,group,...} to my target dir.
I do think it's a bug, because man emerge says that --root is supposed to do
everything emerge could do but somewhere else.
If I emerge locally a ebuild that makes a user, I expect emerge
--root=/target to also make users on /target filesystem.
--
Pierre.
"Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I
wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice." -
Bill Watterson