On 8/14/07, Christopher Friedt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> In spite of reading the howtos on the gentoo wiki and from gentoo.org,
> even using the default hibernate scripts and acpid, I still have no
> success.
>
> My goal - to achieve an S3 sleep state when I close the lid of my laptop
> and to have it wake-up when I open the lid.

Hi,
when you manage to get Suspend to Ram (STR) working using command
line, the rest is usually very easy. I'm using hibernate-script, so it
is enough to run "hibernate-ram" and edit configs at /etc. You of
course need a kernel compiled with appropriate options "on" (I don't
have an access to it right now, but it is pretty obvious if you look
for it).
For debugging, you may want to start with X server switched off,
unplugged usb devices and (as much as you can) kernel modules
unloaded. When you manage to get it working with everything switched
off, you can than add services, modules etc. and to reveal what (if
anything) is a problem.
The problem in my case was the ATI drivers, with very unpredictable
behavior - one release was ok, the next one completely break it. If
STR fails, it is most likely a driver or something. Using latest
kernel helped. If you manage to find somebody with similar hardware,
it also helps a lot - I have Thinkpad R60, so I'm not the one.
As for the kernel version, I'm using 2.6.22 (suspend2-sources) and I
have seen significant improvement in reliability when upgrading from
2.6.21 and 2.6.20, so you may also consider it.
Most importantly, give it a try and if it does not work, report what, when etc.
Best regards and good luck
Jan