On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 12:01 -0400, Alec Warner wrote:

> In regards to a few bugs reports I want to inquire on the exact format
> of make.conf.  It seems some utilities ( euse ) are sourcing
> /etc/make.conf.  This is fine for most configurations when users don't
> make a lot of changes to the file.  However, in some cases users make
> changes that portage will accept but bash will not when sourcing.
>
> Is make.conf meant to be sourcable by bash and we can mark these bugs as
> invalid, or do we need to modify the tools to process it and not source
> the file.

My personal opinion is modify the tools to let portage handle it
utilizing portageq or equivalent.  Here is a snippet of my code from
revdep-rebuild. If that is not possible, then I would state that the
file needs to be sourcable by bash.

# Obey PORTAGE_NICENESS
PORTAGE_NICENESS=$(portageq envvar PORTAGE_NICENESS)
[ ! -z "$PORTAGE_NICENESS" ] && renice $PORTAGE_NICENESS $$ > /dev/null

# Update the incremental variables
using /etc/profile.env, /etc/ld.so.conf,
# portage, and the environment
# Read the incremental variables from environment and portage
PRELIMINARY_SEARCH_DIRS="$SEARCH_DIRS $(portageq envvar SEARCH_DIRS)"
PRELIMINARY_SEARCH_DIRS_MASK="$SEARCH_DIRS_MASK $(portageq envvar
SEARCH_DIRS_MASK)"
PRELIMINARY_LD_LIBRARY_MASK="$LD_LIBRARY_MASK $(portageq envvar
LD_LIBRARY_MASK)"

Regards,
Paul