Drake Wyrm wrote:

I much prefer option 1. It's more work for the maintainers, but breakage
from the environment should be fixed in the Makefile and pushed
upstream.

Yeah, I agree that a build that is fragile with regard to environment variables
could be an upstream issue.  The advantage of white/black/override list portage
feature is that it would provide a way to work around these kinds of problems
(until they are fixed upstream).

In #gentoo-portage Alec pointed out that a blacklist would not guarantee a
clean build environment to the extent that a whitelist would.  Despite this, I
was not convinced that a whitelist is necessary and worth the
implementation/maintenance costs.  To support this, I pointed out that portage
seems to work well currently, without a whitelist.

Based on this information, I would suggest that the lists, if they get
implemented, should exist at both global and per-ebuild levels, and should be
optional (not necessarily required).  One thing I like about black/override
lists (as opposed to whitelists) is that they would serve to document
specifically which environment variable(s) a specific build is fragile with
regard to.

Zac