On Saturday 01 October 2005 14:01, Daniel Stiefelmaier wrote:
> I'd like to introduce two ideas i had to improve portage.

I haven't had an idea introduced to me that was new for at least a year..
Patches are more interesting.

> sometimes i'd like to know something more about a package before i
> emerge it.
>
> 1. release notes. (for the ebuild, not the application)
> as a release notes file exists, a parameter could be used to show the
> most recent entry.
> maybe this fits "eix" better than "emerge"

emerge --changelog ?

> 2. advanced package info
> most important here is an explanation of the available use flags. i know
> there is a list of most flags (http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml)
> but it is incomplete and doesnt explain some flags well. some have
> different behaviour in different packages.
> some flags are self-explanatory, but some are not. for example, the
> "xprint" comment should say, that this is not necessary to print, and
> under what circumstances it is needed.

This should go to [EMAIL PROTECTED] as ebuild developers are the ones that
decide
what USE flags are available and how they're documented.

> also, the advanced could provide
> - links to howto's (like configuring apache)

This is out of the domain of a package in any package management system IMO.

> - list packages that are of use for this (plugins or utilized apps like
> cervisia that integrates in quanta plus)

Do you mean finding packages that depend on that package in question?

> - tell how to contact the ebuild maintainer

metadata.xml. This information is printed out when using -vv in
portage-2.1_alpha.

> that led my to another idea: a wiki for all ebuilds in portage.
> all the information could then be in the wiki, and eix/emerge just print
> the wiki-link.
> i'd suggest mediawiki, as it has a discussion page attached.
> maybe the wiki itself can only be changed by developers, and feedback is
> given on the discussion page.

Personally, I hate most wikis. 9 times out of 10, they are full of
half-correct information. This makes them all the more dangerous as the
"average Joe" can't tell what's correct and what isn't.

> just some ideas, maybe needing some development, i hope you find them
> useful. :)

Ideas are "a dime, a dozen".

--
Jason Stubbs