With the past versions I have become accustomed to always having -v when
doing --pretend. After updating to to pre1 I got the new output:

pena xorg-server # emerge -pv alsa-driver

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.10-r1 [1.0.10] USE="-debug
-doc oss" 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

Ok. Fine I thought some format change. Well the first thing is that I
don't like USE= being in white. It just doesn't fit in while the stuff
around is colorful, but that might be just me.

The real is issue is that it took me this long to notice that emerge -p
seems to show new use flags added since the old version:

pena xorg-server # emerge -p alsa-driver

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.10-r1 [1.0.10] USE="-debug"

I propose we improve the emerge -pv output to be something like the
following:

[ebuild     U ] media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.10-r1 [1.0.10] NEW="-debug"
OLD="-doc oss" 0 kB

This would keep the functionality with --verbose.

Regards,
Petteri