tvali wrote:
I think that it would make things more clear and simple if portage did support the following (maybe some are already included, but not found by me):

* Add package to "world" checking all dependencies, but not emerging

Not sure what exactly that is supposed to mean, but I guess it's already doable with --noreplace and --onlydeps.

* Remove package from "world" without unmerging

$EDITOR /var/lib/portage/world
or
sed -i -e '/<category>\/<package>/d' /var/lib/portage/world

Maybe worth integrating when generic set support is available.

* Save all important messages into file instead of beeping (i may be away from home); optionally replay them at end of update

see http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-131795.html

* When updating or installing new package, if something goes wrong, still emerge other packages, which havent failed packages as dependencies -- in my case, for example, when i do --update, for example, then the fact that update of first package fails does not definitely mean that i dont want to update others

This has been rejected in the past as it isn't always a good idea as you might want to change your plans if a package fails. Maybe as an optional feature, but even then it's rather low priority.

Marius