On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:50:00 -0600
MIkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Add the capability for emerge to take a category as an argument,

# (cd ${PORTDIR_OVERLAY} && emerge -pv <category>/*)

> Then the user can create overlays with their own category names and
> symlink in the package directories they want from the real portage
> tree.

This won't work, I think, since depend atoms include the category name
so if one package in the new category depends on another one, it will
use the standard category rather than the symlinked one in the new
category.

However with regards the original question about adding '--list
<file>' to emerge, you can of course to package lists yourself anyway
as portage exists today. Just create a file with a list of atoms in
it, and do for example:

# cat <file> | xargs emerge -puv

Doesn't get much easier than that - perhaps I'm missing something :)

--
Kevin F. Quinn