Yes, I can break it up, but it will probably be 3 one line changes and
one big 1000 line change.  The 1000 line change is pretty
straightforward.   The only real code changes per se are removing any
default logic (and placing it under the __main__ section).  Let me see
what I can do...

I also messed around with pylint and pychecker today and they both
caught some dead code (imports/parameters/variables not being used). I'd like to make this another patch as well.

I noticed that this patch won't apply to the new portage (pre10 broke
it).  Should I be working against that or different code (from the cvs
tree perhaps)?  (I'd like to get a patch in that people can try before
it becomes outdated).