Edward Catmur wrote:
If the package is installed through package.provided, then I agree with
the *current* Portage behaviour of assuming that all USE flags are on.
Ya can't blame me for that. It's currently the only sensible choice.
(Funnily enough, no-one has suggested dying as an option for this).
I would. Pending a proper resolution (USE data in package.provided),
users can set USE in vdb.

First, having users poke around in vdb is a very bad idea. Doing the wrong thing in there can cause all kinds of weird b0rkage. Second, does portage even consult vdb for a package in package.provided? package.provided was created to *replace* the act of creating a dummy vdb entry (I think that's how it was done, anyway) to fool portage into thinking a package was installed.

--
Andrew Gaffney                            http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer                                   Installer Project