Quoting Simon Lipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > and I'd assume users might get rather confused to answer questions
> > that are then thrown away later.
> I don't unterstand what do you mean by that...
>
> > Another (relatively minor) problem
> > is that the flags set in such a session would have to be made
> > persistent somehow, and I wouldn't want emerge to mess
> > with /etc/portage/package.* files
> Why ? it's just doing something the user will normally do....
>
> > As for listing USE flag descriptions, there are already
> > patches floating around for that (at least TGL wrote one a while
> > ago), and even if not it would be hardly worth a complete SoC project
> > by itself.
> My idea was to integrate this with emerge, and this seemed something
> not very easy. But I totally agree that it's very easy (too for the SoC)
> to make an external tool to do that. So, since you think that emerge is
> not a place for that, I'll search for a new idea for the SoC and try to
> make this simple tool next week ;)
>
> Regards
> --

Take a look at porthole's cvs trunk branch.  I am nearly finished getting things
ready for the next testing & release.  It should work ok, still some bugs to
work out, some code to finish.  I have extended the dependency view for a
package with a lot more info.  I have also set it to follow the dependencies
deeper (which already include use flags, both used and not used).  A new feature
also makes any dependency clickable to bring up a new window with that package's
notebook detail.  It also allows you to click it's dependencies for more popups,
adjust use flags, keywords, etc..  The cli is great, but gui's are better at
showing large groups of info like variable dependency graphs so you can get it
right before you start the emerge.

P.S. If your looking for something to do, I can always use a hand :) especially
on the portage/pkgcore interface side.

The cvs is not yet installable, but works from the directory it is checked out
to.  Make sure you have the dependencies installed.  From a terminal, cd into
the directory, "./porthole -l -d ALL"