Zac Medico wrote:
On 12/31/2009 06:41 AM, Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
In cont. to my prev. question
(http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage-dev/msg_9973fd6c12d7c2088457697f49ea2f5e.xml)

Can I append use.force/package.use.force/package.use or similar to an
overlay, and by that control USE flags on the host?

With EAPI 1 and greater you can use IUSE="+flag" to enable flags by
default in an ebuild.
Yes, but AFAIK, enabling a USE flag by-default only affects the enabling ebuild, not its dependencies. Specifically, By setting "+myflag" in an ebuild, I cannot incur a rebuild of a dependent which is also using this flag.

Appending "myflag" to the USE set via a profile would achieve that behavior.

In a/m bug, the lack of documentation in this area is mentioned . I'm
wondering if this has changed since those comments were written, as I'm
confounded by bits and pieces I'm fishing out w/google.

The information in the wiki seems current.
Would that be http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Overlay ?
If so, then

   * your a/m comment #6 in the bug, clarifying that the 'profiles'
     directory has nothing to do with portage profiles is most valuable.

   <QUOTE>

   Don't let the directory name "profiles" make you think that it has anything
to do with a profile
   <UNQUOTE>
   Well, it actually did make me think that. it looked plausible that
   an overlay could extend a portage profile.

   * The article also mentions "portage overlay specifications", but
     does not cite it.
   * That an overlay can extend package.[un]mask is also not mentioned
     there.

I'm currently reluctant to contribute documentation myself, since I'm lacking key concepts. I'd be happy to do so if I had a more thorough understanding.

Amit