On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 18:38 +0100, René Neumann wrote:
> Am 03.12.2013 17:05, schrieb Mike Frysinger:
> > as for the patch, i'm of the opinion that make.conf is not for
> > documenting random USE_EXPAND-ed variables.
> >
> > this sort of thing should go into the relevant eclass,
> > python-r1.eclass in this case.  then people would read about it via
> > `man python-r1.eclass`.
>
> I object. As a user you should (most of the time) not need to read
> eclass-documentation. And even if you'd count this as a necessity: How
> should a user know _which_ eclass documentation to read? I think such
> a thing is way too much 'implementation detail'.
>
> If you all think, that make.conf.5 is not the right place (which I
> understand), then there should be another central place where the most
> important USE_EXPAND-ed vars are explained and/or pointers provided.
> Perhaps one could make (active) contribution to this place a
> prerequisite to obtaining a new USE_EXPAND-var.
>
> And in make.conf.5 there then can be a pointer to this central
> documentation.
>
> - René

+1

It follows similarly with what I proposed about having a generic USE
EXPAND heading and description in make.conf.  It just doesn't show the
python_targets as an example.  but it could still, just not with the
extra documentation that Alexander did. Instead point to this landing
page for all the use expand variables.