On 10/30/2016 03:03 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 14:44:26 -0700
> Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10/30/2016 02:34 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
>>> +The default depth of 10 was chosen as a compromise between space
>>> +and bandwidth savings, and maintaining a history of recent commits.
>>> +It is especially important for gentoo-mirror repositories where the most
>>> +recent commits are automated and unsigned, and it is necessary to
>>> +rewind the history to the newest signed commit for OpenPGP verification.
>>
>> Shouldn't people feel uneasy about the last commit being unverifiable? I
>> would think that that last commit should be signed with an
>> infrastructure key.
>
> I've even written a blog post [1] about that. Long story short,
> trusting some random key used by automated process running on remote
> server with no real security is insane. I've made a script that
> verifies underlying repo commit instead, and diffs for metadata
> changes.
>
> [1]:https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2016/04/15/why-automated-gentoo-mirror-commits-are-not-signed-and-how-to-verify-them-2/

An automated signature may not have the same degree of trust as a
manually generated signature, but that does not make it completely
worthless (is https worthless too?). For greater visibility, let's
continue this discussion in the "[gentoo-dev] OpenPGP verification for
gentoo-mirror repos" thread.
--
Thanks,
Zac