On 6/20/19 12:02 PM, michael.lienha...@laposte.net wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> A few months ago, I got back to my constraint-based dependency solver for
> portage, that I had to leave for a while.
> Thanks to Zac Medico, it is now based on portage itself to query the portage
> tree, and so the code is far simpler (and far less buggy).
> It is on github: https://github.com/gzoumix/pdepa

Great!

> I still have some work to do on the implementation, and with some colleagues,
> we are planning to publish it in a conference, with the related theory.
> However, to have relevant information to publish, I need your help, if you
> could answer some questions that will come up during testing.
> For instance, in all my tests, emerge (during its dependency resolution)
> always replaces atoms with the latest version of the pc that matches it, even
> with all possible backtracking options being selected
>  (I noticed this behavior because emerge failed installing a package such
> that the latest corresponding cpv could be installed, while the previous
> version could be).
> Is it really the default behavior of emerge, and if yes, is there a way to
> make emerge consider all matching cpv for an atom?

It's capable of considering older versions, but maybe there's some
deficiency in the algorithm. We should analyze a specific example in
order to understand the behavior.

Maybe you're referring to this code which forces the highest version in
the event of a conflict:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/portage.git/commit/?id=a9064d08ef4c92a5d0d1bfb3dc8a01b7850812b0

--
Thanks,