On 11/13/19 2:02 PM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-11-13 at 11:07 -0800, Zac Medico wrote:

>>> portage-utils has variables Q_VDB and Q_EDB which allows qmerge to use
>>> different VDBs/EDBs
>>> Does portage have something similar?
>>
>> No, nothing like either of those things.
>>
>> However, if you want to operate on an old system then the usual
>> recommendation is to unpack a stage3 and bind mount the old system root
>> into the stage3 so that you can chroot into the stage3 and run something
>> like this:
>>
>>     emerge --root /mnt/old-system portage
>
> Nice trick, but not quite what I want to do.
> Simply described I build binary pkgs which I tar together, transfer to an
> remote embedded system
> and install these using qmerge(from portage-utils)
>
> The problem is how make sure I got just the pkgs I need.
>
> I build binary pkgs on the same HW using emerge and this is performed over
> time and
> when release comes I package those bin pkgs and at that time I need some way
> to make sure
> I got what the right pkgs. I figured I could use emerge to generate the
> difference
> for me and the compare that list with the bin pkgs I have.
>
> Maybe there is a simpler way to do this? I have the old VDB and the new VDB
> I need this list to be in dependency order too.

If you have a copy of the old VDB located at /mnt/old-root/var/db/pkg
then you can just do something like this to see what packages it will
install:

   emerge -pv --usepkgonly --root /mnt/old-root <atom> [atom]...

Also if you have the old portage config located at
/mnt/old-root/etc/portage then you can add --config-root /mnt/old-root
to your emerge options.
--
Thanks,
Zac