Hi,

bin/isolated-functions.sh does the following bit:

if [[ -z ${USERLAND} ]] ; then
   case $(uname -s) in
   *BSD|DragonFly)
       export USERLAND="BSD"
       ;;
   *)
       export USERLAND="GNU"
       ;;
   esac
fi

(after which it uses USERLAND for a single purpose, to export XARGS to
either GNU '[g]xargs -r', or BSD 'xargs')

This bit is problematic for Prefix, because Prefix may run on *BSD, but
use USERLAND=GNU.  The problem is theoretical at this point,
occasionally people come in and want to use Prefix on *BSD again.

Now I think Gentoo/BSD is theoretical too.  It officially is no longer
maintained[1].

So, question here is, do we want to retain this bit of historical
compatibility work (also check things like gsed wrapper), or can it go,
basically removing a potential problem for Gentoo Prefix?

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_FreeBSD

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level