Nicholas S-A wrote:
hello,
I have installed Gentoo PPC (2005.1) on my 800 Mhz Titanium PowerBook G4 successfully (it boots). I have some problems, however, and I was wondering if anyone could help me. As it stands, I can not do the following which I would like: 1) I cannot configure ethernet (on eth0) or airport (on eth1, wifi1, and wlan1). after running "alias eth0=sungem" and "alias eth1=airport", "alias wifi1=airport", and "alias wlan1=airport", I still cannot connect using net.eth0 and net.eth1, etc, config and ifup eth0/ifup eth1. It says (I am booted into OSX now because I cannot get mail from Gentoo, so this might be a little off):
ifconfig: eth0: device not found
or something like that. The same goes for eth1. Is there a guide somewhere that I could read about configuring ethernet and airport under gentoo?

It sounds like you haven't included the modules for airport and your network card in your kernel. Make sure that they are at least marked <M>, but I prefer to build them into my kernel (marked by <*>).

2) I have a problem with my kernel. When I try to boot off of a kernel that I complied myself, it always gives " returning* 0x01400000 from prom_init"* as an error in the Open Firmware white background, then NO MORE TEXT is outputted, and it freezes. Apparently, this error is common with powermac G5's (except with more text and a return to the OF prompt), but why my old powerbook has it I do not know. to compile the kernel, I ran
make clean dep modules modules_install vmlinux
dep was not needed. My system says making the vmlinux image worked fine. however, it does not boot, instead giving the above error. Any ideas on how I could get it to work?

You haven't compiled in a framebuffer device. On that machine you need to have RadeonFB compiled into your kernel.

3) I cannot mount hfs+ filesystems. When I run
mount /dev/hda13 /mnt/share
or
mount -t hfs /dev/hda13 /mnt/share
it complains that it does not know what hfs is. What are the steps for mounting an hfs+ partition under linux? or should I just switch to UFS?

You'll need to have support for HFS+ compiled into your kernel. Make sure that it is compiled in. For HFS+ filesystems, the type is hfsplus, not hfs.

4) This is a question about Mac-On-Linux. I was wondering how to install and run it. I have it installed, but when I run what it says to on the man pages, I get some errors about the display, and I think the OSX partition (I am really sorry I am so vague, but I forgot it since running MOL is not as high a priority right now as getting my linux system configured). It does the same thing when run in an xterm or Terminal Window (GNOME).

Yeah, I'll need some more information to help you with this.

5) How do I configure multiple virtual command lines and switch between them? I had it working at one point, but it no longer functions. initrc says all the spawn extra terminal commands, but I cannot switch between displays using any key commands I know of.

It should be working, as you said initrc is spawning the terminals. On my powerbook, I press Alt + F# to switch the terminals, but if you're not running pbbuttonsd, you'll need to press fn + Alt + F#.

Good luck!
-Joe