I used Xorgautoconfig to generate a working xorg.conf and modified for my
specific system.

--
Kmail on Gentoo/PPC
# This file was generated by Xorgautoconfig v0.2.

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

       RgbPath  "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"

# ModulePath can be used to set a search path for the X server modules.
# The default path is shown here.

        ModulePath      "/usr/lib/modules"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)

# For X Font Server support, uncomment this and comment the other FontPaths
# Note that this is not required for most configurations
#       FontPath        "unix/:-1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/local/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/encodings/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/util/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/ukr/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/default/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/baekmuk-fonts/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/arphicfonts/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/kochi-substitute/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/afms/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/cronyx/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/terminus/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/intlfonts/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/freefont/"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "fbdevhw"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
#       Option "Composite"      "Disable"       # Experimental
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "blank time"    "10"    # 10 minutes
        Option  "standby time"  "20"
        Option  "suspend time"  "30"
        Option  "off time"      "60"
### Uncomment this Server flag if X should not change resolutions.
### This is useful if mode changing crashes / corrupts the X server
#       Option  "DisableVidModeExtensions"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Keyboard0"
        Driver          "kbd"
# Change "XkbModel" to "macintosh_old" if you are using
# the deprecated adb keycodes.
        Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "compose:rwin"
### Uncomment this if your layout uses nodeadkeys
        #Option         "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse0"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Buttons"       "7"
        Option          "Name"          "Logitech USB Trackball"
        Option          "Protocol"       "auto"
        Option          "Device"         "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "YAxisMapping" "6 7"
        Option          "EmulateWheel"  "True"
        Option          "EmulateWheelButton" "4"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Monitor0"
        UseModes        "Modes0"
        ModelName       "Monitor Model"
        Option          "DPMS"
        HorizSync       30-130
        VertRefresh     50-60
EndSection

Section "Modes"
        Identifier      "Modes0"

        # Generated
        # D: 108.003 MHz, H: 63.983 kHz, V: 60.021 Hz
        Modeline "1280x1024" 108.003 1280 1408 1520 1688  1024 1028 1031 1066
-HSync -VSync
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card0"
        ### Available Driver options:
        Option "ColorTiling" "false"  # True has trouble with latest xorg
        Option "BackingStore" "true"  # Increases performance
        Option "EnablePageFlip" "true" # Increases performance
        #Option "SWcursor"      "false" # Use Software Cursor
        #Option "NoAccel"       "false" # Disable Hardware Acceleration
        #Option "AGPMode"       "1"     # Set AGP data transfer rate, DRI only
        #Option "AGPFastWrite" "false" # Use AGP Fast Write, DRI only
        #Option "RenderAccel" "true"  # Hardware acceleration
        #Option "DCCMode"       "false" # Use querried modes from monitor
        #Option "MonitorLayout" "TMDS" # Enable this for Apple DVI LCDs
        ### See "man radeon" for additional options
        Option  "UseFBDev"      "False"
        Driver  "radeon"
        BusID   "PCI:0:16:0"
EndSection