Note: Sorry if this shows up twice, but both my responses (to David
and Joseph) seem to have been lost in a black hole...

quoth the David Gurvich:
The video should not be a big problem.  If you are going to use xorg-7.1,
make sure to apply the patch to the ati driver.  I could not get xorg.conf
set up correctly, until Xorgautoconfig gave me a starting point.

I imagine I will use 7.0. Is putting:

VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"

in make.conf enough to get the drivers I need? Sorry for the stupid questions,
but all my x86 boxes have nVidia cards, and I have never used an ATI card
with Linux...

I haven't used ppc64, but many of the developers are doing so.  In fact,
I've had to add ppc to ebuilds that had ppc64 in the KEYWORDS, but not ppc.
 I don't know about mixing ppc32 and ppc64 apps, but perhaps a chroot
environment such as that used in amd64 might be possible.

After going through the package database pretty much all the software I
absolutely require is stable for PPC64, so I guess I'm all good.

-d
--
http://badcomputer.org